Digital Artefact – An epic conclusion, but not yet farewell

As I’ve stated many, many times in my previous blog posts, failing (although incredibly frustrating) has been inevitable throughout the duration of my digital artefact. This is still a running theme with trying to create VR, and even more so with this blog post as I tried to make the entrance to a subway station. The tutorial I was following was so unbelievably British, if you can’t tell. 

DbBnFkjWAAIDlCZ.jpg-large
Source

Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 8.36.28 am

So this scene looks a little different than where we left off last time, so I’ll give you some context as to what I’ve done. Basically to make the entrance to a subway station, I had to move the whole road backwards, in order to make room for two and a half sidewalks. I then duplicated the sidewalks (Command D) I already had, moved one right up against the road, and the other was half tucked under the building, leaving a nice sized gap to build my entrance. Then the other three were just used to fill up the space in front of the other building, and another duplicated three sidewalks to fill up the space at the end, where the gap isn’t entirely closed off.

Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 8.44.16 am

So essentially it looked like this when I had finished adjusting the sidewalks. I began building stairs using the cube object, which was quite a tedious process, because if the stairs were too high or too low, you couldn’t walk on them. I should also mention I added a first person camera, which allows you to view the virtual reality world and move around in it, which allowed me to test the stairs out.

Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 8.48.22 am

This is what the stairs looked like, I did duplicate the first step so that I didn’t have to import a cube and adjust it every time, which made things a lot easier. I also made more steps, which you’ll see later in this post.

The next step was to build the subway walls, which required the cube object and adjusting to fit the length of the gap. I made one and then duplicated the two others.

Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 9.10.41 am

This image is missing one of the walls, the third should be rotated 90°, resized to half of the length, and the height should also be adjusted smaller, but level to the other walls, so as to not block off the stairs. So it’s not placed where the walkway begins, but opposite where you would walk down.

After this I made the floor to where the station will be, which looks like this.

Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 9.24.17 am

I tested it with my first person camera, and I was able to walk down the stairs and onto the floor and back up again, which was a great success! For the end, I added a cube and resized the z-axis to make a thin subway sign. (I downloaded a template from Jimmy Vegas’ website to make the sign poster).

Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 9.34.06 am

So altogether, this is what I’ve created with virtual reality.

Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 3.24.31 pm

I’m hoping to continue this artefact and actually finish the tutorials so that I can complete my virtual city, but for now this is what I’ve achieved. There have been a few issues, like getting started and figuring out how to use Unity, but through the use of tutorials I’ve not only been able to create this, but I’ve been able to understand the process of creating something with VR. I hope you’ve enjoyed these blog posts, and actually learnt something about using Unity, or just enjoyed my continuous fails and occasional successes, until next time.

 

Advertisements

One thought on “Digital Artefact – An epic conclusion, but not yet farewell

  1. Pingback: Contextual Essay

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s